Monday, March 8, 2010

Why I hate the University of Kentucky.

Before anyone gets all touchy about the title of this post...calm down. I don't really HATE anyone or anything, but I do have more than a few bones to pick with UK. I'll lay out most of them here while being as honest as I always am in my assessments.

First of all, I realize that every fanbase has a certain percentage of straight up assholes and douchebags in them, and maybe it's because I'm a Louisville fan, but it seems like UK has the most obnoxious and pompous fanbase I've ever seen. Granted, I know quite a few UL fans I'm ashamed to be seen with or be around when they're in a UK/UL debate because I know I automatically get lumped into their category. I also want to follow that statement up by saying I know a lot of really great fans on BOTH sides of the fence. So it does go both ways. Here though, is an example of what I'm talking about with UK fans:
These people actually PAID MONEY, and went to Freedom Hall to watch the Cards say farewell to the storied arena, and host the number one ranked team in the country, to Cheer AGAINST Louisville while clad in UK gear. Give me a break. How much time do you have on your hands to actually do that? This game had absolutely ZERO to do with UK yet these jag-offs (yup, I'm quoting Cal) showed up and acted like jerks. Apparently towards the end when UL had it clearly in hand they quietly shuffled out, their day apparently ruined. What kind of ass-clown does that? If I were to ever grace Rupp Arena with my presence for a UK game that had nothing to do with UL, I'd wear a neutral shirt, probably nothing athletic based. I honestly don't hate UK athletics but can't honestly say I really ever cheer FOR them either.

Another huge reason I can't stand UK is because of their ridiculous basketball bias. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm much more a football fan than a basketball one. I cheer for Pitino and the Cards, yes, but what really gets me going is Football. UK has repeatedly "dropped the ball" in regards to football for DECADES, and I can't stand when they try to act like they are some sort of football powerhouse. The University of Kentucky actually does hold a bit of prestige historically in regards to football. They've put out some amazing pro's who had amazing careers such as George Blanda who holds or held multiple NFL records.

The thing that really gets me going about UK football is the fact that they had arguably THE Greatest College Football Coach of All Time, Bear Freaking Bryant, and they basically shoved him out the door. Okay they didn't really tell him to leave, but they didn't really make it warm and fuzzy on him either. Bryant ended the 1950 season with a perfect record and a victory over the #1 ranked Oklahoma Sooners in the Sugar Bowl. For this victory it is said he was given a Cigarette Lighter (though I've heard from other sources it was a watch.) Adolph Rupp was given a Cadillac for winning the NCAA title. Clearly it wasn't hard to see that Basketball was truly number one in the state. Other reports I've read say that Bryant was upset when the Basketball Cats were put on probation in the 50's for a point shaving scandal under Rupp, and Rupp himself wasn't reprimanded at all, and went un-punished. Still other stories say he also had plans for integrating his football team, yet that plan was re-buffed by the university.

With so many of the stories swirling over the years of why Bryant walked from the University, it's hard to say which are true, but almost all the ones I've heard have circulated over the gifts given to the coaches. Around 2004-05 the Sagarin Ratings were done for every year with football, and in that undefeated 1950 season UK was ranked number one according to Sagarin. The university petitioned the NCAA and they retroactively granted UK a National Championship. Many "fans" I know don't even know this (because a great number of them honestly don't care about football and have only jumped on board after they beat U of L handily in recent years.)

This next point goes back to the fanbase of UK sports (mostly the un-educated football fans.) and also relates to Bryant. After the four consecutive seasons with a 6-6 or 7-5 record, many fans came to hold a special place in their hearts for "Papaw" Rich Brooks. While he definitely resurrected the fanbase by securing 4 consecutive bowl bids (winning 3), he is in no way deserving of what I have seen many a fan say they would like to happen. There was a small movement among the fans (I say small because I don't know any true football fans wanting it to happen) to re-name Commonwealth Stadium to Rich Brooks Field. This again is a slap in the face to Bear Bryant. Your school/team had the GREATEST COACH IN THE SPORT'S HISTORY, who WON A NATIONAL TITLE, yet you want to re-name the stadium after a guy whose record at most schools in the country would get him fired?! (Schools such as Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, Miami, USC.......and on and on.)

There are other reasons but these are the ones that stand out most potently to me in recent memory. Again let me finish by re-iterating that I don't actually hate UK or any of its players or coaches, and most of the fans. I actually hold great relationships with many UK fans and consider all of them dear friends. However I know that I'm about to get about a thousand comments with things like "UL sux. UL will always be Little Brother, blah blah blah" from UK fans, and that is normal and expected, however nowhere in this article have I even attempted to compare the 2 schools, but say what you want.

5 comments:

  1. All I got out of this horrible 'article' was that Louisville fans are jealous of the University of Kentucky. Rightfully so at that! 'Papaw' Rich Brooks would probably have had a better overall record had he coached in the Big Easy conference. Anywho, when someone's name is Favre4Ever, they obviously can't make up their mind and anything they write should automatically be void and nulled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawl, you illustrate one of the biggest reasons UK fans are horrible. You're arrogant over something you contribute nothing to, aside from catching the game in some bar after a few meth hits in the parking lot. I especially love how y'all talk shit to everyone, your players show no sportsmanship, and you riot and burn your own city down when you don't win. The most classless fanbase in the entirety of college sports by far.

      Delete
  2. ok so it's not crazy to come to a cerebration of louisville basketball, to root against us. Uk fans are the worst fans in collage sports. trust me in live around these pathetic losers. only way they can win is to cheat. ex. your coach is a bull faced cheater

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't get caught, is it really cheating?

    Anyways, he doesn't look like a bull... I would say more like Rick Pitino with moral judgement and without his degenerative skin disorder

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a true blue KY fan, I love my Wildcats! However, when they're not playing against KY I always root for Louisville. I don't see any reason to hate them or not support them, we're all Kentuckians.

    ReplyDelete