Saturday, March 6, 2010

I love to see you go and hate to watch you leave



With the death of Freedom Hall today, what do you mean it's not dying? I figured it caught the AIDS from Pitino. No? Yes, a building can get AIDS, I saw it happen to the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Yeah, I'm sure the Dirty Cards fans did it too. I mean if a couch at Porcini's is ok... Yeah, sorry you're right I am off topic. Freedom Hall's last game is today. That's been covered on this site.

Along with Freedom Hall, Louisville home games will leave behind some 4 year players as well. So along with WHAS11, I wanted to pay a tribute to the Cards.  So, so long:

 "Uncle" Jerry Smith - From the time Jerry Smith set foot on the Freedom Hall Denny Crum Court, I've always wondered how he bypassed the NCAA clearinghouse. No, not in that John Wall, Derrick Rose SAT kinda way that you Louisville Fans are thinking, but in that aren't you a little old to be in college kinda way. Smith had set the bar for old man looks until this season when he lost his mojo, most likely to Florida's Alex Tyus. I think his AARP membership card may be due for renewal, but it's always nice to see a player care about his team as much as Smith does the Cards. Hopefully he can get to tour Europe or Puerto Rico with Antoine Walker this summer.

"Eddie" Edgar Sosa - Sosa's never lacked the attitude it takes to win big games, including a drive against UConn this year, West Virginia in the BET last season, or probably his biggest highlight against the Cats last season in Freedom Hall. It seems Sosa always had just what it took just when it was needed to lift the Cards back to the top and lift the fans back to his side, hopefully he can find it again and lift them to a big win over the 'Cuse.

Reginald "Is he related to Tony" Delk - Despite Reginald's significant playing time and production this season (6 pts, 3 reb, 20 mins), Delk will probably be most well known for his uncle Tony Delk. Tony played under U of L Coach Rick Pitino at Kentucky, where he earned Most Outstanding Player honors while leading Kentucky to the 1996 NCAA Championship and went on to play 10 seasons in the NBA.

Chris Brickley - So in his first and last season with the Cards, the Southern New Hampshire transfer sat out last season to sit the bench for the Cards. Brickley only appeared in 8 games for 31 minutes and scored 14 points. He will probably be remembered for not being remembered.

So, So Long Dirty Cards and dirty Freedom Hall.

1 comment:

  1. I am not homophobic in any way, shape or form, but that last video posted on this article is the gayest thing I have ever seen in my entire life. I like how it makes Lil' Eddie and Uncle Jerry look like Saints. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

    I have absolutely nothing againt Delk and Brickley. I hope both of those guys do well. Reginald will never be as kick ass as Uncle Tony though. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete