Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Terrence Jones' Call to Cal explained

Yesterday, John Calipari joined a radio station in Portland (95.5 FAN) to discuss the Terrence Jones phone call, his recruitment, the rollercoaster ride and more.


“Well we thought that he was coming with us and when he said ‘Washington’ we were like ‘what just happened?’ That was the first thing. Then he called about an hour later and said ‘Cal, I made a mistake. I don’t know what I was doing.’ That is when the thing went like ‘You what?’ So we talked to him and said that we are going to do whatever you want. I am holding your scholarship. At one point I said, ‘Look, if you want to go to Washington then go to Washington, and if you want to come with us, come with us. Just make a decision so that we can all move on.’ But I felt bad for him to be honest with you. Because he is 6’9’’ everybody thinks that this guy is a grown man. They have emotions and they still, the peer pressure wanting to please everybody. Terrence is a pleaser. He is not one to be confrontational. He is not one that… He is a pleaser. He wanted to please me, he wanted to please Lorenzo, wanted to please his teammates. That is what he is. But I will tell you what…I think that we have got a player that fits as well as anybody that I have ever recruited."
So sure, the people that hate Cal/Kentucky and didn't believe him before still won't believe that he didn't talk TJ out of Washington - but this is his stance.

1 comment:

  1. Well, what Coach Cal says is the truth then. Remember these zingers as recent as March 2009:

    * "When we win, and everybody loves to win, players go to the pros, and there are people that will come at me. That's just how it is. I'm happy, happy with the program, happy with the people. I love Memphis."

    * "I want to be here (Memphis). This is where I want to coach, and my name will be tied to every job that's open, and our fans I think have gotten used to it."

    ReplyDelete