Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Madden 2011 News and Notes

Drew, I hope the Madden curse skips you.


Today is like Christmas, Easter ,Kwanzaa ,Arbor Day and Flag Day all rolled into one for video game enthusiasts and nerds everywhere. It's Madden Football release day and many stood in a line at Wal-Mart or their favorite video game outlet to get the first copies of the game to go home and play it right away.

I played Madden for a couple of years and bought it from about 2001 until about 2005. I realized that I was buying the same game over and over again. Sure, a few adjustments had been made with each edition and the new draft picks would be featured as well as trades and free agents. But the concept was still the same as were the basic features and controls. Don't get me wrong, I would like to play the new Madden. But I don't understand the people that plan their whole life around it.

And besides, is there anything more annoying than those douche-bags on the ESPN Madden Tournament Challenge show that think because they play simulated football that they are as tough as football players? It makes me laugh/fume/cry when I hear them say things like, "It's game time, baby!!!" and "I'm bringing the pain!!!!", or the ever popular, "You scared man! You scared to play me!!" Yes man. I'm scared to sit in an air conditioned bus and play a child's toy with you. Just because Ray Lewis gave you a jersey with his name on it doesn't mean you are Ray Lewis. To the NEWS!!!:
  • KSR has a really interesting article talking about the progression and performance of the players at summer practice. The player receiving the most praise is Enes Kanter, whom Calipari said is the best player on the floor. (Please NCAA, Clear Big Enes soon) Also, it is refreshing to hear that DeAndre Liggins is looking comfortable and has the best driving ability on the team. He will be the player that could put the Cats over the edge. Read all the reviews here.
  • As reported here last week via Twitter, Michael Gilchrist spent the weekend with the Cats in Lexington. He took in the Fan Day practice with 6,000 other Cats fans and hung out with the basketball team.
  • The line for the Cats vs. Cards football is 3 in favor of the Cats. I have never said on here that I think this game is going to be a blow out but I do think the Cats will win. This is one of the more hotly anticipated games in this rivalry in a long time. The excitement and hope that Charlie Strong has brought on the Cards front is palpable and the Cats fans feel like we have a veteran team that is ready to take the next step for our program. I'll have a prediction as far as the score closer to game day. I still have the Cats and that won't change.
  • The Cardchronicle posted a very good article (surprise!) on Pitino's post trial quotes. Pitino was in full BS mode, trying to seem humble and contrite but it seems a little disingenuous with me. The folks over at the CC do a great job analyzing the quotes and they do not spin his words in a positive direction. Props to the Cardchronicle. I will still continue to give you hell and make fun of you.
  • Derrell Revis is still not playing. The owner of the Jets said that they are miles apart in negotiations and that the team will prepare like he will not be on the team. I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. Somebody needs to get something done. Get the man his money and get him on the field.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a deal needs to be reached with Revis, but he has apparently not budged one cent since "negotiations" began in January. He wants to be the highest-paid corner in the league, which he deserves to be, but Oakland paid Asomugha so much that, if the Jets want to be able to build a championship-caliber team, they can't afford to match or exceed that offer.

    So, if Revis is saying to the Jets that they're going to have to bankrupt themselves to sign him, I can understand why they're not meeting his demands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand both sides of it but it seems that neither side is budging. I tink Revis needs a new deal but I do agree that he needs to work out some compromise.

    I am his side of this argument because the players have so little leverage. The Jets could cut Revis without batting an eye, despite what his contract says so he needs to get what he can while he can. NFL contracts aren't worth a dime.

    ReplyDelete