Wednesday, August 11, 2010

It's my birthday and I'll rant if I want to



Today, the great Terry Gene Bollea (aka Terry "Hulk" Hogan) turns 57. Also today, SportsThat's very own MonsterMash turns 28. Yes, I am less than half his age and likely half the man (physically and emotionally) of the great Hulk. However I'm also 100% less divorced, crazy, on steroids, and dating 21 year olds - now worries, I'm working on the crazy and 21 year olds.

I grew up with my blue 5lb Hulkamaniac sand filled dumbbells, listening to cassette tapes of him saying "brother" over and over. I watched him thrown "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Andre "the Giant" around the ring. However, when I was about 23 I witnessed the decline of the one time hero in his VH1 reality TV show. He lost his son to prison for a stint, his wife to divorce, and his daughter to the skankhood of scantily dressed "musicians." Thus, he also lost me as a fan.

I'll likely spend the day drowning my sorrows celebrating the upcoming 28th year of my life seeing that 28 is an awkward age. It's especially awkward when all your boys are now married or engaged and you are the recently single one of the bunch without a replacement in sight. However, today isn't about me it's about the news:
  • Charlie Strong has announced that the Louisville Football team will not take a team picture unless they make a bowl. KSR said it best when they noted that individual players photos can still be found on the Jefferson County Sherriff's office website. 
  • Breaking news was released yesterday that Coach Cal's reign on top tier recruits has come to an end. Evan Daniels of Scout.com has said that 2011 recruit, Chane Behanan, will visit Kentucky. The Bowling Green resident is currently ranked #24 and the #5 Power Forward. I mean #24 that's the best we can do... I'm kidding of course. It's just another showing that Cal can get into the game late and still be a major player in the kids decisions. 
  • A male flight attendant threw a hissy fit earlier this week. A flight was taxing to their gate when a passenger stood up. When asked to sit down, the passenger cussed him out, and pulled the bag out of the overhead compartment at which time it hit the attendant in the head. The attendant then went on the overhead and cussed the passenger out, said I'm outta here, grabbed two beers, deployed the emergency exit slide, got on the terminal shuttle, went home, and was later arrested
  • The Reds and Cardinals got into a nice baseball brawl last night in the bottom of the 1st inning. I've never understood why baseball doesn't implement the basketball rules concerning players coming out of the dugout. There's no reason that anyone not on the field should be on the field. 
  • Darrelle Revis is still holding out for a 10 year deal and the Jets aren't willing to budge on an extention with large money but not that long of a deal. This is turning into a bigger circus than "Fat" Albert Haynesworth's feud with Mike Shanahan. The only good news for the Jets is that their coach seems to steal headlines away faster with his comments.
That's all I got. I've got some plans for later this week, follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/sportsthat for the latest news on sports and any big celebration plans for the weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment