Friday, July 9, 2010

Lebron drops a Cleveland Steamer on the Cavs


Okay, so I realize I've not written anything in a while on this site, which really might only be a month or so...but the way that Boogie and Monster post like 6 articles a day each, that ends up being probably almost 200 posts since my last article. I know I've been sorely missed, but the reality is despite all the posting going on, there really hasn't been a lot of news going on. Well...not a lot pertaining to stuff I care about. U of L news has been slow aside from Charlie Strong picking up a few recruits, and a couple offseason basketball signings here and there. And unlike 98% of the UK fanbase when the team is good, I honestly don't give a crap about basketball recruiting (and really I don't care about football recruiting but since it's the next season I care about in line, I follow it until the season starts). The World Cup is terrible as is the whole sport of Soccer (if you can call it a sport without laughing), and baseball pains me to watch this early in the season (aside from the fact my Reds are hanging on to 1st place so far).

Those that know me well enough know that I really couldn't give a crap about the NBA, but I do kind of follow it here and there. I've never really had a "team" I liked...as a kid, like everyone else, I liked Jordan and the Bulls, he was just amazing to see. I'll say that Lebron has really impressed me since he came out of high school, and other than coming up short so far in winning a title, he's really lived up to the hype that surrounded him at such a young age.

Clearly his move to South Beach shows that his interest and ultimate goal is in winning a title in the NBA before his career is done. However, I think he really just took the easiest way out to win that title. The thing I like and respect most about what Jordan did, is that he stayed with the team that drafted him, and took that team to greater heights, without really any other "superstars" on his team. I realize he had some good supporting talent, but I don't care what anyone says, Scottie Pippen was only a star because he played with Jordan, as was John Paxson, and whatever other good shooting white guys played with him, along with Horace Grant, BJ Armstrong and Bill Cartwright. Take Jordan off the team and they aren't championship material, as evidenced in his "retirement" the first time.

Lebron could've done the same thing in Cleveland with another player or 2 I believe. I don't even care about the whole, "he dissed his home state" or whatever arguments the sore Cleveland fans are probably throwing out; he basically is on an All-Star team now in Miami with D-Wade and Chris Bosch. Plug me in that roster and it's still an NBA Final caliber team, and in the game of basketball, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat. I mean I get the guy wants to be a champion and that's cool, but to me it makes me think that he doesn't have enough confidence in himself to be "the man" on a team and have a good supporting cast around him to lead to glory. I guess you could argue that it makes him unselfish to share the spotlight with Wade and Bosh, which is admirable in it's own right, and I couldn't really argue against that either though.

All in all, I just thought it was too much of a circus for what it was. Wade and Bosh declared the day before Lebron and didn't need an hour long "special" on ESPN to showcase where they were going. It's free agency, I don't give a crap who goes where in ANY sport until the season begins. The guy didn't really show any emotion be it joy in going to Miami or sadness for leaving Cleveland. He looked like he didn't really want to be there at all, and neither did the kids in the backround at the camp or boys home or whatever it was. As much respect as I've had for the guy for basically coming out and being a millionaire and basically an Icon at age 18 and not messing up in his personal life so far, I lost a lot of respect just the whole way the circus went. It reminded me a lot of the Brett Favre sagas every offseason in football honestly, which has gone on for like 6 years now...the media makes a huge circus of EVERYTHING when it's slow.

I'm sure many will disagree with my opinion as a lot of readers on this blog do, and that's your right and I always enjoy reading others opinions, so post them up on how you feel about the "Big 3" ending up to play for "Los Heat."

No comments:

Post a Comment