Monday, February 14, 2011

A Kentucky Valentine


Another weekend road game, another loss. Please don't misunderstand me, I get that we will lose games. I totally expected to at the beginning of the season. UK lost 5 players to the NBA last year. 5! We have the potential #1 overall draft pick in Enes Kanter sitting on our bench, #1! And while we have a stellar crop of freshmen this season, we are relying on freshmen to win games. The cardinal sin of collegiate basketball of which we had our sentence commuted last year, we are paying for this season.

What I hate is that I have hope. Every road game, it seems like we've fallen behind and right as my hand picks up the remote control to flip to reruns of the World Series of Poker or another mind boggling boring version of awful television, someone on the team manages to do something. A defensive play, a blocked shot, a three pointer - the run begins. The chance at victory sucks me back in.

We've fallen behind by 8, 13, 10, 18, etc but right at the last moment as the glimmer of hope fades... a spark ignites. With that spark my hopes elevate to meteoric proportions. My interest peaks. Kentucky manages to come back full force, potentially take the lead only to fail miserably - leaving me heart broken and alone.

So for that 2010-2011 UK team, I say you are like a Valentine... meant for me to love, but I always end up feeling used at the end of the night.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment