Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Avengers: Cats Head to Sweet 16 by Beating the Mountaineers

The UK version of Batman and Robin against West Virginia was phenomenal today. Despite the size difference, I say Knight would be Batman. The Dark Knight? That's a Dykesisim.


Before I begin to talk about the game, I wanted everyone to see something:


Joe Mazzulla's 2010-2011 season stats:

Ppg-7.3

Apg-4.3

Three Point Percentage-29%

Rpg-3.9


Against UK today:

Points-20 (career high. previous was 17 against UK in the Elite 8 loss)

Assists-4

Assists- 4

Three's- 1

Rebounds- 4


Besides the scoring, Mazzulla was his usual self. Let me take the opportunity to speak for all Kentucky fans and say this; We will never have to see Joe Mazzulla again and we are damn happy for it.



  • Brandon Knight followed a career low against 2 points against Princeton with a career high 30 points today against WVU. He scored in every way imaginable; threes, mid range jumpers, lay ups, dunks and the charity stripe. Is it too much to say that he is the most underrated player in college basketball? I don't think it is and I hope the NBA scouts are not aware of it.

  • JORTS!!!! Josh Harrellson now has 30 points in his two games in this tournament. He is playing like he never wants his time as a Cat to ever end. He is hustling on both ends of the court, rebounding and even DEFENDING well. He had zero fouls in his first game and had 2 today (but I don't count that BS foul at the end of the first half). Jorts is playing like a man possessed.

  • Rick Pitino: "Josh Harrellson is the most underrated college basketball player in his position for all that he does for his team." I would say that too if Jorts had burned me with a double-double. Boom.

  • Liggins played lock down defense against Joe Mazzulla in the second half and only allowed him to score 4 points in the second half. He only had 3 points but that is not his game. What he did on the defensive end was so much more important.

  • Tough day for Darius. I could see he was playing hard but his shots were just not falling. He made an important 3 near the end of the game. I don't see his funk continuing.

  • Jones had a double-double and picked up his offense in the second half. He started driving his man to the rim and he would either make the shot or get fouled. I think his defensive rebounding has gone unnoticed. I noticed for you Jones.

  • Lamb has yet to find his groove so far. Only 6 points and three quick fouls made for a poor day. Again, you can't keep a good man down long.

  • Where has Doug Harrellson been the whole season? Why are we now just learning about Jorts Sr.? I blame the Liberals.

Calipari can exhale. He beat Huggins and is now 2-8 all time against him. His young Cats are moving on to play George Mason or Ohio State.


I've said all season that without Kanter that this team has a Sweet 16 ceiling and I am not backing off that statement. But if the Cats do advance to the Elite Eight, and with the poise and toughness that have shown in this streak of wins they can, then there is no reason they will not be in the Final Four.


I'm sick with some type of flu (no, it's not an STD, Monster Mash) so I'm heading to the couch to watch the #2 seed Gators. Yes, I am still pissed about that.


That one was for Patterson, Wall and Boogie.


More Later. Survive and Advance. Go Cats!


No comments:

Post a Comment